Japan Flex User Group is the most successful and largest user group in the world (check Adobe Developer Relations manager, John Koch’s article). They held Flex2 study session, discuss and share Flex2 development experience. Yesterday (2006-12-21) I join “Flex2 Study Session (12th)“, this was the first time I attend their gathering, the gathering was hold in Adobe(Japan) Tokyo Office (Google Map), it was also my first time to other Adobe Office.
The session was divided into two parts, the first part was Flex Builder development tip sharing, talking about cross debugging, Framework analysis and source code quick view technique. Study session was like a lecture, but it was not formal, attendants can speak out their idea anytime, the discussion environment was good. Study session was different from the user group gathering I attended in Hong Kong/Taiwan, even different from MAX (HK/TW). The study topicwas very small and focus, so talked in depth, it liked experienced developer debating, for example, they have talked about the difference between Java breakpoint and Flash breakpoint. The remain attendants can learn a lot during the process.
The second part was an introduction to Apollo, this was my first time to see Apollo in live. The speaker presented how to use Flex Builder to build Apollo application, demo Apollo alpha windows, irregular shape window, File I/O, HTML render, use Filter to blur or even distirt a HTML page.
Some points I found interesting:
- Irregular shape Apollo application, the outside place underneath is still clickable. If you try other irregular shape application before, it may be actually rectangle window which underneath is impossible to click.
- File I/O is completed, it can browse, list, read, delete files. It supports Binary, too. Therefore, you can write your own encoder, decoder, create your own file format.
- However, File I/O is too powerful, if Adobe can solve security problem, Apollo cannot release.
- The installation of Apollo application and runtime is very easy, using Flash Player to install. After installation, you can create icon on the desktop and adding shortcut in Start Menu Program Files, look like desktop softwares.
- Apollo support hybrid of HTML+SWF, it is HTML embeds SWF or SWF embeds HTML.
- Flex2 application, it is not necessary to use Apollo embed SWF to convert to Apollo application, you can just change mx:Application tag, add some window setting, then convert to Apollo application.
- Apollo runtime file size is about 5Mb.
- Someone asked is it possible an Apollo application communicates with othere application. No information yet, but I guess it is possible thought Local Connection. There was a C# talk with Flash example before.
Other photo (sorry, photo quality are not good)
▲ From JR Yamanote line (山手線) Osaki Station (大崎駅), follow the foot bridge, come to Gate City Osaki (ゲートシティ大崎)
▲ Buildings near by
▲ Large podium and lobby
▲ Arrived West Tower
▲ Outside West Tower lift lobby
▲ West Tower lift lobby
▲ Walk out, found Adobe carpet, step on the logo…(:P)
▲ Found Adobe Office is similar to Hong Kong one, same color tone
▲ Posters in Adobe Office
▲ Direction sign
▲ Enter the room, there was lot of people ready, somes bought their notebooks, too.